Handy vehicle shipping information
RORO Freight Service
Direct sailings from several main Japan ports, fast transit and constant monitoring of each consignment through to final destination. We provide confirmation, sending out the Freight Arrival Notice prior to ship arrival, so that you are assured the vehicle arrival date and information.
Jacanna Customs & Freight, work in partnership with Japan Forwarding Agency (JFA), to offer a twice monthly service on Mitsui O.S.K Line (M.O.L). Our service offered, includes the following Terminal Receiving System Service and Benefits for you, the importer in New Zealand.
Japan and New Zealand Services:
- Customs Clearance
- Marine Insurance
- Free Vehicle Photo Service (VPS)
- Free Odometer Inspection
- MPI Biosecurity Inspection
- NZTA Border Inspection
- Free Storage in Japan
- Transportation for Metro Area’s in NZ (for inland area’s please contact us)
MPI – Ministry of Primary Industry
If you have any queries about MPI (MAF) inspections or information, please visit website www.mpi.govt.nz
We are widely regarded as one of New Zealand’s leading Customs Brokers providing specialist services and expert advice from our large team of experienced, Customs and MPI/MAF accredited brokers.
A NZ Government Transaction Fee is payable GST (additional to Freight)
If you have any questions pertaining to Customs Clearance please refer to their website www.customs.govt.nz
Transport from Port of Discharge.
Only approved transport operators are permitted to enter the ports and uplift vehicles. We take care of the delivery through our extensive network of personally selected nationwide transport agents, who ensure timely delivery to customer’s destination i.e. Compliance centre.
The Team at Jacanna Customs & Freight
|There are 4 easy but very important things that you must arrange before your vehicle arrives into New ZealandWe do the rest!
1. Customs Client Code
- If you do not have a Customs Client Code as an individual or company you must apply for a Customs Client Code from NZ Customs. A Client Code form is attached.
- You can submit this to NZ Customs yourself free of charge or you can return the completed form to us and we will submit on your behalf for an additional cost of $25.00 + GST.
- Please ensure the photo identification, a scanned Drivers licence or passport is of high quality. Customs will reject the application if the image is poor.
- If you are going to submit the application to NZ Customs yourself please let us know your Customs Client Code as soon as it is issued to you.
- Without this code your vehicle cannot be Customs cleared.
2. Shipping documents
- This comes in the form of an ORIGINAL BILL OF LADING (OBL). This document is very important as this is released once you have paid your agent in Japan for the cargo.
- Without this ORIGINAL BILL OF LADING Jacanna cannot release your cargo.
There are two ways the ORIGINAL BILL OF LADING can be presented
A.It can be couriered to you by your Japanese agent. You need to get the ORIGINAL BILL OF LADING to Jacanna (we cannot accept copies).
B.It can be surrendered to our agent in Japan who is Japan Forwarding Agency (JFA). You can request your Japan agent to arrange this.
Option B is the preferred option because you eliminate the risk of losing the ORIGINAL BILL OF LADING.
- Jacanna will send out an invoice to you before the vessel arrival covering the GST, Government Transaction Fee and Freight Charges payable. This needs to be paid before the vessel arrival.
4. Delivery Address
- Jacanna has a door to door service. We will arrange delivery to an address supplied by you. It can be to any address in the metropolitan area. Most people choose to send the car to their preferred compliance centre.
|If any of these 4 steps are overlooked or late it will hold up the delivery of your cargo and you will incur additional storage charges.
NZ Customs require all inner cargo imported into New Zealand in used vehicles to be accounted for.
This includes, but is not limited to the following;
- Sets of wheels/tyres etc.
- Snow chains and similar accessories
- OE new and used spare parts (particular or not to the vehicle in which they are in)
For Customs clearance purposes we need all inner cargo to be itemised on all supplier invoices.
If the goods are ‘free of charge’ with no commercial value, but listed with a ‘value for customs purposes’, this figure will be deducted from the FOB value of the vehicle and added to the Customs entry using that value. The total value of the GST is unaffected.
If the goods are ‘free of charge’ with no commercial value and no value shown on the invoice, a minimal ‘sensible’ value will be deducted from the FOB value of the vehicle and added to the Customs entry using that value. The total value of the GST is unaffected.
If the goods have been commercially supplied, they will be listed and entered additional to the vehicles on the Customs entry any GST/Duty will be charged accordingly.
It is both the importers’ and suppliers’ responsibility to ensure all additional inner cargo shipped in used motor vehicles is listed on commercial invoices. This is a NZ Customs requirement.
Please note: Inner Cargo is specifically excluded from the marine policy wording ‘inner cargo’ being defined as any item being placed in the vehicle for the purpose of storage during transit.
We wish to thank you for your understanding and continued support.
If further clarification is needed regarding this issue, please contact us.
Keep up-to-date with your vehicle shipment
Finding out where your vehicle is at any one time of the process, gives you the ability to manage the collection and processing of documents and payment on time.
Vehicle Tracking System (VTS) assists JFA’s customers in monitoring their vehicles starting from delivery into the JFA Terminal Receiving yards, in-process until shipment. The customers can trace all the activities of the vehicles within the yard, the VTS captures the real-time date and time of the work order activities and update the customer over the website at their portable computers and gadgets.
For vehicle shipping from Japan
For vehicle shipping from the rest of the world
Door to Door international vehicle shipping
We are specialists in importing and exporting all types of Vehicles, Commercial trucks, vehicles of Special Interest and other RORO Heavy Cargo & Machinery. Our experienced team offers you our extensive industry knowledge and the personal approach which understands your expectations and delivers your vehicle in the most efficient way through our ONE-STOP-SHOP Package from Japan to New Zealand. Providing you Import and Export services with Australia, UK, Singapore, USA and many other countries. We provide a quotation and have your cargo handled with our assurance that all documentation and care is taken during shipment.
Transport from Port of Discharge: With authorized transport operators through our extensive network of personally selected nationwide transport agents, who ensure timely delivery to customer’s destination i.e. Compliance centre.
RORO and container freight service
Direct RORO sailings from several main Japan ports, fast transit and constant monitoring of each consignment through to final destination. Weekly containerised service to all main NZ Ports. We provide Freight Arrival Notice prior to ship arrival, so that you are assured of vehicle arrival date and information. Jacanna Customs & Freight, work in partnership with Japan Forwarding Agency (JFA), to offer a twice monthly service on Mitsui O.S.K Line (M.O.L). Our service offered, includes the following Terminal Receiving System Service and Benefits for you, the importer in New Zealand.
Japan to New Zealand vehicle services:
– CR-Z Memorial Award Edition Customs Clearance both in Japan and NZ
– Free Vehicle Photo Service (VPS)
– Free Odometer Inspection
– MPI Biosecurity Inspection & Cleaning
– NZTA Border Inspection
– Free Storage in Japan
– Transportation for Metro Area’s in NZ (for inland area’s please contact us)
– Compliance Service is available in Auckland only, Optional service.
– Marine Insurance full cover from place of purchase to first point of rest in NZ
For vehicle shipping from Japan click here.
Marine cargo cover in brief
As an Importer of vehicles you know the risks. Jacanna make it easy and have an automatic insurance cover. You get specialist Insurance cover for your imported vehicles at no cost to you.
Your investment is covered.
Along with Crombie Lockwood and the insurers HDI Global SE, Jacanna have tailored this Insurance product to meet the specific needs of vehicle importers. The cover will protect your vehicles from the following and more. Fire – pilfering – stranding – general average – mishandling – theft – earthquake – sinking – collision (whilst driven incidental to loading and unloading). For your convenience to lodge a claim complete a claim form which can be found in the documents section of the website. Two repair quotes will need to be supplied when submitting your claim. Repairs cannot proceed before the claim has been accepted. Any repairs before the claim is accepted will void the insurance cover.
N.B: $500.00 policy excess applies to all claims to be paid by the importer
Marine Insurance cover terminates in the following circumstances (Whichever occurs first):
– 90 days insurance cover for storage (whilst in the ordinary course of transit) whilst at port in the export country
– 30 days after discharge from the vessel
– Delivery to the importers premises, or premises described in the Bill of Lading
– Delivery to other commercial premises instructed by the insured
– When the vehicle is driven under its own power – except when incidental to the loading & unloading.
Exclusions – Principle exclusions include:
– Delay causing loss of market
– Pre-existing damage
– Inner cargo
– Damage caused while the vehicle is being driven (unless being driven incidental to loading and unloading)
– Vehicles over NZ$40,000 CIF +10% value are not covered above this limit and require separate insurance arrangements.
The above information has been provided for general information purposes only. Please refer to the policy document for full details of the policy terms, conditions, and exclusions.
A profile on our insurance partner Crombie Lockwood
At Crombie Lockwood we operate on the simple but demanding premise that your livelihood is our responsibility and we take that very seriously. Our experience with vehicle importing protection gives as a deep understanding of your requirements which enables us to provide the best cover for your needs and deliver efficient claim settlements. Crombie Lockwood has been providing natural cover to New Zealanders since 1978. We are the largest insurance broking company by premium volume in New Zealand
Haven’t found what you’re looking for?
Frequently asked questions
A Customs Number is a unique number that identifies individual importers and exporters and is required as part of the import process for shipments valued at NZ$1000 or more.
A CO2 account (in the CCS – Clean Car Standard system) is used to record emission ratings of importers’ vehicles to comply with the Clean Car Standard.
The CO2 account number needs to be entered against every vehicle. Without this information, vehicles will not be able to complete entry to New Zealand and be registered.
The account number lets importers view and manage their imported vehicles. You’ll need different CO2 accounts for new and used vehicles.
It is a minimum rate (weight/measurement). With the use of the formula for calculation of sea freight, the higher value (quantity of tons or cubic metres) is selected and multiplied by the specified freight rate. If the calculated freight is lower than the minimum rate, the minimum rate is to be adopted (weight/ measurement).
Generally, yes, and it’s worth investigating this as it can reduce costs and avoid double up of charges from shipments from the same origins.
Every Origin will have different export clearance regulations that may limit your ability to consolidate sometimes, however in many cases this is achievable.
Please get in touch with Jacanna to see how we can reduce your costs going forward.
3PL stands for Third-Party Logistics. It refers to a business arrangement where companies outsource their logistics and supply chain management functions to third-party providers. These third-party logistics providers offer a range of services, including transportation, warehousing, distribution, order fulfillment, and other logistics-related activities.
Companies often choose to work with 3PL providers to leverage their expertise, infrastructure, and technology, allowing the businesses to focus on their core competencies. 3PL providers can help optimize supply chain operations, reduce costs, and improve overall efficiency.
Some common services offered by 3PL providers include:
1. Transportation Services: Managing the movement of goods via various modes of transportation, such as trucking, air freight, rail, and ocean freight.
2. Warehousing and Distribution: Providing storage facilities, order picking, packing, and distribution services.
3. Inventory Management: Monitoring and controlling inventory levels to ensure optimal stock levels and prevent stockouts or overstocks.
4. Order Fulfillment: Processing and fulfilling customer orders, including packing and shipping.
5. Supply Chain Consulting: Offering expertise and advice on improving supply chain processes and efficiency.
By outsourcing these functions to 3PL providers, companies can often benefit from cost savings, improved flexibility, and access to advanced logistics technologies.
Yes, when importing goods into New Zealand, you may be required to pay Goods and Services Tax (GST). GST is a consumption tax, and in New Zealand, it is currently set at 15%. The GST is generally applied to the customs value of the goods, which includes the cost of the goods, shipping, and insurance.
In addition to GST, you might also be subject to other duties and taxes, such as Customs duties and/or Excise duties, depending on the nature of the goods you are importing.
It’s crucial to consider that specific rules and exemptions may apply, and the New Zealand Customs Service can provide the most accurate and up-to-date information.